10 things to know about the Nigerian New chief of staff, Ibrahim Gambari
1.His given name is Ibrahim Agboola Gambari and was born on 24 November 1944 in Ilorin.
2.Gambari attended King’s College, Lagos.afterwards the London School of Economics where he obtained his B. Sc. (Economics) degree (1968) with specialisation in International Relations.
3.He is an educator of repute, who began his teaching career in 1969 at City University of New York before working at University of Albany. Later, he taught at Ahmadu Bello University, in Zaria, Kaduna State. From 1986 to 1989, he was Visiting Professor at three universities in Washington, D.C.: Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, Georgetown University and Howard University.
4.He is a member of the Johns Hopkins University’s Society of Scholars
- He was decorated with the title of Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR) by the Government of Nigeria
- He was accorded, honoris causa, the title of Doctor of Humane Letters (D.Hum.Litt.) from the University of Bridgeport
- On 4 March 2013, Ibrahim Gambari was named by the Governor of Kwara Abdulfatah Ahmad, as the Chancellor of the Kwara State University
- Gambari served as the Minister for External Affairs between 1984 and 1985 under General Muhammadu Buhari’s military regime.
- He has held several positions in the United Nations. In 1999, he was the President of UNICEF and later became UN Under Secretary-General and the first Special Adviser on Africa to the UN Secretary General Kofi Annan from 1999 to 2005. He was the Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations for Political Affairs from 2005 to 2007 under Secretary-General’s Kofi Annan and Ban Ki-Moon.
- His last appointment in the UN was from January 2010 to July 2012, when he was appointed by Ban Ki-moon and the Chairperson of the African Union Commission as the Joint African Union-United Nations Special Representative for Darfur.